5 Steps for Dealing With Damage Caused by Water
Water can be beautiful and relaxing. Unfortunately, it can also be completely unpredictable and create headaches for homeowners in South Oceanside, CA. Water damage is one of the most common issues plaguing homeowners. Whether it is from broken pipes, storm damage, or sewer backup, the most important part of the process when dealing with the situation is quick and efficient water cleanup. Delays could create conditions conducive to mold, mildew, and structural damage.
Dealing with cleaning can be stressful, but remembering the five steps – or the five Ds – can help you through the situation.
1) Disconnect all electronics and turn off the power. By removing electronics out of the water’s path quickly, you increase the chances of saving those items. In addition to electronics, move all the furniture, area rugs, and carpeting affected by the water damage.
2) Drain as much water as possible. While using a power extractor, such as a sump pump, is preferable, sometimes it is not the most feasible or safest option. Using mops, buckets, and towels can be just as effective.
3) Drying the area out is the most critical thing you can do to mitigate mold and bacteria growth. Once you have removed as much water as possible, use a dehumidifier and fan to circulate the air.
4) Disinfect the area once it has dried out. Stagnant water and moisture create a hotbed for breeding bacteria. Make sure you also include overhead beams and portions of the walls that were not affected.
5) Dispose of damaged items. Unfortunately, not all your things will survive. Keeping damaged items that can’t be disinfected increases the risk of mold and bacteria growth.
Dealing with water damage can feel overwhelming. Fortunately, in South Oceanside, CA there are repair and restoration experts available to assist you in the water cleanup process. Whether you choose to do it yourself or seek assistance, use the five Ds to get you started. Visit http://www.SERVPROfallbrooksouthoceanside.com for more information on water damage.