Water Loss, Effect, and Mitigation
Water Loss, Effect, and Mitigation
Water loss calls for immediate action and commencement of mitigation strategies. Water damage can be caused by flood damage be it by water in home or water in businesses. Some of the damages that can be caused are stains, rust, discoloration and wood rot. Business and homes experience losses from water damage because of floods, roof leaks, supply line failure, overflow or burst pipes thus the need for water damage restoration. In the case of water in business loss caused by burst pipes, overflows or supply line failure, it is important to take up the following mitigation and water damage restoration strategies.
1. Identify where the water shut off valve is and ways to operate the shutoff valve.
2. Turn the water off
3. Make a call to First Response for a free and onsite evaluation
4. Have a water cleanup procedure
5. Protect property from damage by elevating and drying using towels.
6. Remove non-salvageable materials
7. Carry out water damage restoration procedures such as water cleanup, drying, and disinfection for the building and other property.
Leicester NC and Asheville were severely affected by the flood damage which occurred in 2016 when Hurricane Matthew hit North Carolina. Hurricanes and flood damage are common in North Carolina. The aftermath of flood damage can be overwhelming to a business owner or homeowner. Therefore it is necessary to consider the key mitigation strategies. Water in business can stop or delay business operations adversely causing the business to be shut down unexpectedly due to damage. On the other hand, water in homes can damage a lot of personal property. When facing water disaster, it is important to take the following mitigation procedures;
• Taking safety precautions. When handling water in business or water in homes, taking safety precautions is a necessity. Safety precautions can be taken by wearing gloves or any other safety gear to prevent contact with water.
• Water removal. Whether it is water in business or water in homes, it is important to come up with a process of water cleanup and drying. The water drying can be done by wiping if the amount of water is small in a building or rather the use of an air mover can be helpful. A multipurpose air mover not only dries the floor quickly but also produces air movement. Drying the water helps reduce chances of damage.
• Ventilation. This helps mitigation to the levels of water damage. For example, it prevents the growth of mildew and mold. Doors and windows should be left open and set up fans in the building to produce air movement. Air movement has an impact on the quality of a business or home’s air depending on cleaning procedures conducted. A dehumidifier can be used to speed up the drying process.
• Disinfection. Walls, floors and any other items which had contact with flood water should be disinfected to remove bacteria. If a floor was adversely affected by flood damage, then it should be eliminated. Water damage restoration is necessary to prevent bacteria spreading facilitated by air movement. Disinfection also helps in the water cleanup process.
• Prevention. Prevention is the best and easiest way to mitigate water damage or flood damage. Building elevation, fixing leaks, stocking emergency supplies and elevating appliances are some of the measures that should be taken to prevent future damage. Visit http://www.SERVPROfallbrooksouthoceanside.com for more information on water damage.